Helpful Financial Resources for Hurricane Ida Victims is a list of resources to help you navigate your journey for those impacted by Hurricane Ida. Please make sure to register with FEMA at 

  • Housing
  • Food Assistance
  • Insurance
  • Taxes
  • Personal Finance
  • Small Business


Apply for housing assistance through the FEMA Transitional Shelter Assistance program

FEMA will pay for hotels for Hurricane Ida victims. You first must apply for assistance through the agency by registering at or call 1-800-621-3362. Once you apply, the agency will let you know what assistance might be available to you. For a listing of participating hotels, please visit here. You should call the hotel and determine whether there is availability. Please have your FEMA registration number available to provide to the hotel. 

Questions about the FEMA Transitional Shelter Assistance Program

Request for Additional Living Expenses from your insurance policy

You may request living reimbursement through additional living expense (ALE) coverage if you have homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies. ALE is part of your insurance and can help pay for living expenses while temporarily unable to live in your home. These expenses include hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other expenses while you are away. 

Read more: Additional Living Expenses. 

Food Assistance 

Apply for Federal Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Louisiana’s federal disaster SNAP is in the process of approving individual federal assistance as a result of Hurricane Ida. Therefore, you are encouraged to pre-register to help process your application faster. If you currently receive benefits from the SNAP program, you will not need to register again. If FEMA approves additional benefits, you will receive them automatically. You can text LADSNAP to 898-211 to receive updates if DSAP is approved for your area.  

Read more: Disaster SNAP Program


 How to file a claim with your insurance company 

After a disaster, you should contact your insurance company immediately. When you can do so, document any losses that occurred during Hurricane Ida, take pictures of your property and if you are in a place where you are unable to do so, try your best to send someone to your property to take pictures on your behalf. If you evacuated, save all of your receipts. Your policy should include additional living expenses, which pay for hotel expenses, meals, and other temporary living expenses. 

Sources: How to file an insurance claim


The IRS is granting more time for tax filing and payments until Jan. 3.

If Hurricane IDA impacted you, you now have more time to file your taxes and pay any taxes previously due during this time. 

The IRS has granted victims of the Hurricane until Jan. 3 to file individual and business tax returns due from Aug. 26 to Jan. 3. In addition, you also have more time to pay any taxes due. Even someone with a valid tax extension (which extends your tax return until Oct. 15) now has more time to file their tax returns. The new due date applies to quarterly estimated tax payments due on Sept. 15 and tax-exempt organization tax returns due on Nov. 15. 

If you qualify for relief, you will not need to do anything in most cases. That’s because the IRS will apply for the relief automatically with your address on file. If your records are located in the area, but you do not have an address on file within the parishes listed, you will need to contact the IRS to request relief at 1-866-562-5227. 

For more information, click here. 

Request a tax refund for hurricane losses 

Since this hurricane is now a declared disaster, if you have uncovered losses, you may claim these losses now by amending your prior tax return and requesting a tax refund for the previous tax year. Keep in mind; you can also claim the loss when you file next year. 

Read more: How to claim a hurricane loss.  


Ways to find financial resources during Hurricane Ida

Budget and Bills: Think outside of the box during this time—partner with another family to reduce evacuation costs. Call your creditors if you need assistance with bills (requests extensions if needed). Check and see if you have reimbursements due to you at this time (health savings accounts, etc.)

Child Tax Credit Payments: Register for the child tax payments if you have yet to do so. The IRS just added a new tool at to make it easier for families to register.

Read more: What to Do If You Still Have Yet to Receive Your Child Tax Credit Payments. 

Stimulus Payments: If you qualify for stimulus payments, but did not get it last year, request the recovery rebate credit for the 2020 tax return.

Read more: How to Claim a Previous Stimulus Payment.

Travel Awards: Use travel rewards and points to pay for additional expenses during Hurricane Ida. 

File Tax Returns: If you have a past tax return you have yet to file and expect a tax refund, do so as soon as possible. Filing your tax return can expedite the funds you may need at this time. 

Small Business

Apply for funding with the Small Business Administration (SBA)

If you are a business owner, you may apply for an SBA loan. Businesses and nonprofits can borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate and other needs. You can also request funding for working capital needs caused by a disaster. You can head over the and apply online today. 

Register at

I pray you and your family are well during time. I will continue to update this listing. Updated as of 9/4/21 at 11:00 a.m. central. 


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *